"I prefer to be in Santiago than here": Exhausted Cubans in the U.S.

Lawyer Willy Allen revealed the exhaustion of Cubans in the U.S. who prefer to return to Cuba rather than continue waiting, as deportations continue.



Deportations of Cubans (Reference image)Photo © Cubadebate

Migratory exhaustion has a face and a voice. Immigration attorney Willy Allen revealed that several Cubans in the United States have reached the limit of their endurance and are considering returning to the Island rather than continuing to face the uncertainty of the immigration process.

Allen recounted the case of a woman who sent him a direct message: "Willy, I can't stand it anymore, I want to leave." The woman, who has her daughter and grandchildren in the United States, reached a breaking point and told the lawyer, "I would rather be in Santiago than here."

The lawyer also mentioned the case of a young man who said, "I can't take it anymore. Send me to Thailand, anywhere, but I can't take it anymore."

Allen said he understands and respects that frustration: "There are fights, they can be won, but I understand the young person's frustration."

Part of that exhaustion comes from unmet expectations.

The expert explained that many Cubans arrived believing the path would be simple: "They thought the road to the empire was easier. That they were Cubans, they arrived, touched the ground, and congratulations. Here you have Medicaid, here are food stamps, here is assistance; come, here is your residency, do whatever you want."

He acknowledged that under the Cuban Adjustment Act, the benefits remain in effect, but the reality is harsher: "The red carpet doesn't shine for its cleanliness; it's muddy, has some holes, but it is still red. And the Cuban Adjustment is still in place, but the path is more difficult."

Despite the outlook, Allen insisted that legal battles can be won, citing recent victories from his team: two asylum cases won that week, one in Orlando and another in North Carolina.

"The deportations of Cubans continue. Moreover, there are many Cubans like this young man who are frustrated by the delays, worried, and fearful of being detained; they are being detained and prefer to leave rather than continue the fight," the lawyer summarized.

This state of exhaustion occurs amidst deportations that do not cease. Allen anticipated that the next deportation flight would be this Thursday - the third Thursday of May - and lamented the coincidence with a historical date: "We celebrate Martí's death by deporting more Cubans to the Island. How terrible."

Since January 2025, the Trump administration has deported approximately 1,992 Cubans, bringing the total to 5,377 during both terms.

So far this year, at least four flights have been recorded: 170 Cubans on February 9, 116 on February 19, and 117 on March 19, among others, totaling more than 530 deportees to Havana.

Allen provided context for those figures: between March 2017 and December 2024, 1.2 million Cubans entered the United States, and approximately 700,000 have an I-220A or are awaiting some form of legalization.

"1,000 are leaving, 1,200 are leaving. It's a relatively insignificant percentage mathematically. But 1,000 people, 1,000 families, 1,000 affected individuals," he pointed out.

In the judicial arena, four federal circuits have declared illegal the bailless detentions ordered by the Trump administration. However, Allen clarified that the decision of the sixth circuit does not automatically extend to the eleventh circuit, where Florida is located, as these are different districts.

Filed under:

CiberCuba Editorial Team

A team of journalists committed to reporting on Cuban current affairs and topics of global interest. At CiberCuba, we work to deliver truthful news and critical analysis.

CiberCuba Editorial Team

A team of journalists committed to reporting on Cuban current affairs and topics of global interest. At CiberCuba, we work to deliver truthful news and critical analysis.