Chiky Bombom appeared this Monday by the sea, visibly affected, with a video posted on TikTok and Instagram that was full of symbolism: the host was not on the Telemundo show, and her followers quickly connected the dots.
The clip arrives just days after the controversy that shook the host last week when she stated during a live session on TikTok that the Hispanic network was preparing to lay off about 500 people. "Telemundo is currently preparing to let go of 500 people. I might be one of them," she said at the time.
The uproar was immediate. The next day, the host had to retract her statement live on En Casa con Telemundo: "I want to clarify an inappropriate comment regarding alleged layoffs at Telemundo. I want to make it clear that I do not have access to that type of internal information and I acknowledge that I made a mistake. I take full responsibility for my actions and I apologize to anyone who may have been impacted by them."
According to reports from People en Español and other entertainment outlets, Telemundo has reportedly responded with a temporary suspension. However, the network has not issued any official statement regarding this.
This Monday, coinciding with what would have been the period of that suspension, Chiky Bombom did not appear on screen. Several fans confirmed this in the comments: "Today I waited for your return and you didn't come on in the morning, I missed you and I turned off the TV," wrote one follower. Another added: "I don't watch the show anymore because you are the spark."
Instead of giving explanations, the host chose the sea as her backdrop and the right words. "When you feel that your thoughts, your problems, and the circumstances of life are bigger than you, I advise you to go to a place where you feel very tiny," she said in the video.
And she explained her own refuge: "I am in love with nature, with plants and the sea. And when I feel that my thoughts are bigger than me, I come to the sea to feel small. It helps me reflect, it helps me feel better, it helps me connect with myself, it cleanses me."
What impacted her followers the most was the caption that accompanied the Instagram post, where the host revealed a personal wound: "The greatest thing that has happened to me in life was losing my family and being a single mother, not having a roof for my son. And falling into a depression that nearly cost me my life."
The confession resonated strongly among those who have followed her since the beginning on social media, before she arrived at Telemundo in December 2022. That story of overcoming challenges—a single mother to her son Cartier, going through severe depression to reinvent herself as a figure of empowerment—is the core of her personal brand.
Following last week's controversy, her colleagues Carlos Adyan, Gabriel Coronel, and Génesis Suero publicly expressed their support for her. "Bombona, you are great. We are waiting for you with open arms. We love you!" Suero wrote. For now, neither Chiky Bombom nor Telemundo have confirmed what will happen with her return to the screen.
Filed under: